datestampDec 5, 2014

Laundry Room Re-Do

One of the only things I wish I could change about my house is our laundry room.  It is a tiny room that connects our garage to the rest of the house and is easily filled with backpacks, shoes, and clutter.  I decided to take matters into my own hands and give it a little makeover so that I would be more motivated to keep it cleaned up.  I ripped out the old wire shelf that was above the washer and dryer, repainted the room,  and found this old cabinet for $15.  I just added some paint and crown molding and built some shelves on either side.  Voila!  A lighter, brighter space to do the mountains of laundry that come from a family of 6.  

datestampApr 10, 2014

reupholstery 101

My in-laws gave me a pair of these wing back chairs quite a few years ago.  They are in great condition but the color just didn't go with anything in my house.  I called around to local upholsterers when we first got them and couldn't find anyone who would recover them for under $500.  It seemed silly to me to pay that much when I could get a new chair for the same price.  So, they have traveled from room to room for the past 5+ years as a "someday" project.  
 With the economic slowdown, I finally found a place that was willing to do the job for $250.  I was super excited and ready to send them off.  It took a while to find the right fabric but I finally found one I liked while browsing the decorator samples at JoAnns.  It is called "Square Pegs" by Robert Allen and has a great thick texture and rich color.

They had it listed for around $79/yard.  Ouch!!  Luckily after some googling and internet research, I was able to find the same fabric for under $10/yard. I ordered it and was all ready to go but then got distracted by some painting projects and then lost to motivation to spend more money on reupholstery.  I ended up ordering a great book on Amazon called, Complete Step by Step Upholstery by David Sowle. After reading through the book, I felt empowered and ready to take on the project by myself.  I have never done any sort of reupholstery but I really enjoy figuring things out on my own.  
I spend about six hours removing all the old fabric off, taking care to pay attention to how it had been attached and in what order.  I'm sure there is an easier way to remove staples but I just used a flathead screwdriver and levered each one off.......there had to be several hundred and my fingers lost all feeling for the next few days!  

After everything was off, I started in reverse order by putting the new fabric on in the same way, just using the old fabric as a pattern.  I have to say that reading the book and paying attention to how the chair had been put together was very helpful.  The only "special" tools I bought were some T-pins and some curved needles.  And, they were essential for the pieces that were sewn into place at the end.  

 And, here is the finished project!!  I am so excited and proud because this is something I never thought I could do.  I added a box pleated skirt and then felt like the chair was a bit "tweedy" and masculine so I added an easy pillow to liven things up.

I wanted something graphic and bold and this is what popped into my head.  I'm still trying to think of a good story to use.  Avid Red Cross supporter??  Swiss heritage??  

Here are a few detail shots.......the cushion was the most challenging part for me.  I had to do a lot of unpicking and repinning before it lined up just right.  

Now I get to start all over on the other one!!  If there is any interest, I will do a step by step guide when I do the other chair.  This was one of the most satisfying projects I have ever done and it is much simpler than it seems!  You can do it too!!

datestampMay 14, 2013

a shared room

I started a little room re-do a few months ago for my two youngest who share a room.  This room used to be shared by my two girls and was done in yellows, pinks, and blues.  My older daughter decided she really wanted her own room and it was time to move my little guy out of his crib, so we decided to do a little room swapping.  It took me a while to decide on something that would work for both of them.  I was going to paint the room a more neutral coordinating color but my wise friend said, "leave it yellow! you don't want everything to match!"  She has never led me astray so yellow it stayed and I think it works just fine.  I have been getting catalogs from Serena and Lily for a while and really love their striped duvet covers for boys.  I drew heavy inspriation from their "Asher" collection.  
The duvets and pillows and just long strips of alternating brown and white cotton with some red piping around the edges.  I had the red/white stripe and tan polka dot fabric already and just made some simple pillowcases and shams with them.  I couldn't get a good photo of the windows but I just did a simple valance with the polka dot fabric and some brown bias tape along the bottom.  
These photos aren't the best, I am definitely not a good "stager" by any means but time doesn't exist for me to press everything perfectly!  The letters are from Hobby Lobby......they were originally gold and I just spray painted them red.  

The other side of the room is in progress and may be that way for a while until I can break away from other projects and finish in here.  At the moment, their dressers are being styled with Junie B Jones books and truck collections.

datestampMar 21, 2013

Norah {Cincinnati Newborn Photography}

What a darling little girl!

datestampNov 3, 2012

Lambdin Family {Cincinnati Family Photography}

datestampAug 15, 2012

Hutzel family {Cincinnati Family Photography}

A great session with one of the best-looking families I know!